Skip to main content

Scârbosule

Hey everyone, this was a pretty good first week back here in Pitesti!!
Some friends we got to know in Cluj.  They have the best fries!

I was actually very surprised to have had so many lessons this week, I think we had one every day and when we didn't have lessons, we did solid studies and finding activities and we found a good amount of new friends. We had a lesson with a girl named Ioana and her situation is really cool and exciting. She has only one concern, which is the question "Does God exist?" and she expressed that if she receives an answer that He does, then she will be baptized hands down, even if she is not a huge fan of the branch and how church services are. She has a true desire and now it's just the receiving answer process. We have been recommending scripture passages and talks for her to read and today we are going to meet with her and share the talk about personal revelation by President Nelson. I have a really good feeling about all this and I know that as she does these things, she will be baptized! We also had a lesson with a man named Mihai who was once on a date for baptism but doesn't, so we are trying to help him get back on track and we taught some of the commandments and he seems willing to follow them. We just need to meet with him more to get him ready for baptism. It's exciting and I think we can establish some baptismal dates in the coming week if the Spirit continues to help people understand the Gospel. We also received this referral this week of a younger father named Sorin and he has a lot of potential and wants to read the Book of Mormon. We are meeting with him this week and it should be a really good meeting.
My companion and I with a member in Pitesti.

We are trying to work with returning members because the branch is small and needs reinforcements. We have been meeting with Maria and trying to help her be a more stable member and come to church more often than she has. She's been great and she has many friends who want to come to church, which can hopefully help bolster the numbers here in Pitesti. We also really want to work with Luminita more because she hasn't been coming to church lately, mainly because of work. But she was super excited to hear I was back in Pitesti and we heard that her and President Constantin are officially getting married this Saturday. So that should be a huge help for her to come to church more and we can get President Constantin involved in her coming back. Other than that, we haven't seen much from returning members, which is why we want to work more with them to be able to have more success.
Last pic of the crew in Cluj enjoying some food.

"O how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for our escape from the grasp of this awful monster; yea, that monster, death and hell, which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit." (2 Nephi 9:10) Isn't great that we have a way to escape the monstrosity of death and hell through the atoning power of Jesus Christ. He is truly our Savior and Redeemer and I am so blessed to wear His name on my chest as His messenger of the truth. I love you all and I hope that you have a great week!! Loves!

Va iubesc,
Elder Bowen

Scârbosule means disgusting one. And old man from the countryside kept saying that to some animals while we were there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Ultimo, Sfârşitul, My Final Curtain

Hello all you people! For those playing at home, this is my final email that I will send as a missionary. So this email will definitely be a good one! We had a solid week here in Pitesti. We had a really good lesson with Tata Sandu where we read from Alma 7, which testifies of Jesus Christ and the importance of faith and repentance and being baptized. His health keeps him from coming to church, but he really is interested and wants to hear our message. It seems that right when we arrive, he wants to read from the Book of Mormon, which is a sign of eagerness to learn and feast upon the words of Christ. Hopefully Elder Rawhouser can continue to help his desire grow and maybe help him enter the waters of baptism. We made it a priority this week to work with members, especially to strenghten up Mihai the recent convert. This week we focused on temples on watched some videos on what goes on in the temple and what all of it means. He liked it and now we want that to be his goal to go...

Weekly words and seeing God's hand in the work.

In 2018 Elder Bowen’s dad started asking a set of questions.   First it was “What is an interesting word or phrase you have learned in Romanian?”   Later, was added, “How have you seed God’s hand in your life or the life of your friends?”   Lastly, the question, “What is something interesting you have learned about Romania?”.   These are all compiled below. 6/25/2018 A freca menta - literally means rub the mint but it's a phrase that means to waste time 7/2/2018 Mi-am dat seama – I realized 7/16/2018 A supraviețui – to survive I have definitely seen God's hand in my life every time I study in the morning, because it seems like every time I do it, it leads to something that I really needed to study for the rest of the day. 7/23/2018 A infaptui – to accomplish I saw God's hand when he touched our man Felix at church. He told me he really enjoyed church and I can tell he is really progressing. He's read up to Alma 50!!!!! 7/30/2018 a ...

Lamps and Pizza

Well hello all you cool people! This week was pretty sweet as usual! Listen up carefully! Tuesday was a pretty normal day to say the least. I had to have a doctors appointment for my visa and that was the weirdest appointment ever. I couldn't understand anything the doctor was saying and I kind of just sat there. But I am healthy!!! Later that day, Elder Dixon and I went block knocking and we met this woman named Dorina. She was very friendly and let us in and we talked with her about families. She then showed us her collection of trinkets and one of them was a little lamp. She talked about it and then out of the blue she told us that she wanted us to have it. This small, Aladdin type lamp. Definitely a weird gift but hey I will take it!   Little lamp given to me by Dorina, a woman we met Wednesday we met another woman named Pina and she is a very interesting person. She is a very sad woman because of all the hardships she has gone through. We were able to talk to he...