Skip to main content

65 lei? That's like 200 dollars!

Hey Fam and Friends and Copiii Porumbului!!

This was a very solid week and we feel really good heading into this new week. Probably the greatest thing that happened this week was that we starting teaching this younger guy named Elisei. He's in his early 20s and was found from our English classes. He was pretty excited to meet with us and we managed to have 2 great lessons with him. The first was on the Restoration and he really seemed to enjoy it. We gave him a Book of Mormon and he was willing to read it to find the truth. We then had a follow-up lesson to see how everything was going. He unfortunately did not read the assigned passage, so we read with him. It was only the introduction, but he really liked what it was about and felt good about that. Afterwards, we went into the Plan of Salvation and that was pretty awesome. He was asking great questions and he was reiterating what we taught in his own understanding and he loved it. He prayed at the end of the lesson thanking God for this new knowledge he did not know before. And to make things even greater, he said he would be baptized if he came to know these things were true. He couldn't come to church this week, but he really wants to come this next week so we are going to work hard with him to help him be prepared for church and to set a baptismal date. It's an exciting time and we are super excited to see how he progresses and grows in this gospel.

Our members are doing pretty solid. We have been talking with members about doing some family home evenings with Come, Follow Me and they seem excited. We really want to focus on Darius and Vasile to help them be more involved and to think about people they can bring to church. We really want to start using members to find more people because that means lasting conversion and less time we have to spend on the street in the cold.

Elder Dahl and I are doing pretty well here. We've been working hard and making sure we do this work together. We've been improving our missionary work and it's been a blast. We had an English fast this week and it went so well that we are going to continue the fast until the end of the transfer. We don't speak English essentially at all and even when someone speaks to us in English, we just don't feel good about speaking English. So it is Romanian all the way now, which is a very good feeling. We joke around and say we are like sister missionaries because they talk in Romanian ALL the time and we joke that we are becoming sister missionaries as well. I guess we will see haha...

If nothing changes, nothing changes.  We must constantly be improving, persistently striving to do more, continually asking ourselves "What lack I yet? What can I do better today?". If we are not doing these things, we will never become better and we certainly will not reach our best. So we should follow the admonition of the hymn Have I Done Any Good?: "Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above." I know that as we do these things, we will become the kind of people, the kind of instruments God wants us to be. I love you all and I wish for everyone a great week!!!!

Va iubesc,
Elder Bowen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Ultimo, Sfârşitul, My Final Curtain

Hello all you people! For those playing at home, this is my final email that I will send as a missionary. So this email will definitely be a good one! We had a solid week here in Pitesti. We had a really good lesson with Tata Sandu where we read from Alma 7, which testifies of Jesus Christ and the importance of faith and repentance and being baptized. His health keeps him from coming to church, but he really is interested and wants to hear our message. It seems that right when we arrive, he wants to read from the Book of Mormon, which is a sign of eagerness to learn and feast upon the words of Christ. Hopefully Elder Rawhouser can continue to help his desire grow and maybe help him enter the waters of baptism. We made it a priority this week to work with members, especially to strenghten up Mihai the recent convert. This week we focused on temples on watched some videos on what goes on in the temple and what all of it means. He liked it and now we want that to be his goal to go...

Weekly words and seeing God's hand in the work.

In 2018 Elder Bowen’s dad started asking a set of questions.   First it was “What is an interesting word or phrase you have learned in Romanian?”   Later, was added, “How have you seed God’s hand in your life or the life of your friends?”   Lastly, the question, “What is something interesting you have learned about Romania?”.   These are all compiled below. 6/25/2018 A freca menta - literally means rub the mint but it's a phrase that means to waste time 7/2/2018 Mi-am dat seama – I realized 7/16/2018 A supraviețui – to survive I have definitely seen God's hand in my life every time I study in the morning, because it seems like every time I do it, it leads to something that I really needed to study for the rest of the day. 7/23/2018 A infaptui – to accomplish I saw God's hand when he touched our man Felix at church. He told me he really enjoyed church and I can tell he is really progressing. He's read up to Alma 50!!!!! 7/30/2018 a ...

Lamps and Pizza

Well hello all you cool people! This week was pretty sweet as usual! Listen up carefully! Tuesday was a pretty normal day to say the least. I had to have a doctors appointment for my visa and that was the weirdest appointment ever. I couldn't understand anything the doctor was saying and I kind of just sat there. But I am healthy!!! Later that day, Elder Dixon and I went block knocking and we met this woman named Dorina. She was very friendly and let us in and we talked with her about families. She then showed us her collection of trinkets and one of them was a little lamp. She talked about it and then out of the blue she told us that she wanted us to have it. This small, Aladdin type lamp. Definitely a weird gift but hey I will take it!   Little lamp given to me by Dorina, a woman we met Wednesday we met another woman named Pina and she is a very interesting person. She is a very sad woman because of all the hardships she has gone through. We were able to talk to he...