Skip to main content

Chicken and Ciorba

Hello everybody! This week was pretty sweet! Listen up y'all!
 
Elder Dixon and me and some Christmas Lights
Tuesday was pretty normal. We tried to finish visa stuff but turns out we don't have all the stuff to complete that. So I am still illegal in the country so that is kinda scary haha. But it was pretty normal and nothing big happened.

Wednesday we were going to have a lesson with this man named Anton but he had to leave like right after the prayer. But he told us that he felt so much peace and happiness when we said the prayer. He really wants to come to church and change his life around because he is raising a daughter by himself. He is a great man and I see a lot of potential with him. We also used the new Light the World video a lot while block knocking and a lot of people are super interested in what Christmas is truly about.
 
Meal with Sora Briscaru and her son Lucas
Thursday was Thanksgiving! But Romanians do not celebrate that so that was sad haha. We had 2 lessons fall through which was pretty rough but hey, come what may and love it! Life has it's rough patches but we have to move on from them. We didn't do much except we did go eat burgers for thanksgiving which was awesome! I am super glad they have burgers here in Romania!!

Friday was a gross day. We spent basically the planning this Thanksgiving party for our English classes but only 5 people showed up overall. But the food we cooked was super good even though it was just chicken and potatoes. Us missionaries can cook I tell you!! Afterwards, we talked about what we are grateful and it was a really great night after a really gross and tiring day.

Saturday was pretty slow. The highlight was meeting this man named Constatine who is super interested in the gospel. He is 79 years old but he is such a great guy. He says he wants to be baptized in the spring which is great and sad cause who knows if I'll be here in Galati. But he was fun to talk to and he will be someone we try to talk to for a long time.


The church in Galati

Sunday was pretty good. Church was pretty sweet even though 9 people showed up. We went to take the sacrament to an older member and her daughter made us ciorba or Romanian soup. It was not that bad and it was my first Romanian meal ever! It was a quality start but I am scared for the future haha. 

This week had Thanksgiving and I just want to say how thankful I am. I am thankful for a family who is strong in the gospel and is supporting me here on this mission. I am thankful for this mission and the opportunity to serve others. I am thankful for my friends and mentors who have helped me grow to become the person I am today. I am thankful for this church that has been such an impact on my spiritually. I am thankful for God and his perfect love for me everyday. I am thankful for Jesus Christ and his sacrifice and sufferings so I can return to live with God again. I am thankful for my trials and suffering because they help me grow to love myself more and all my many blessings much more.
Elder Dixon and Bowen making dinner

Thanksgiving dinner


I love you all and hope you have a great week!!!

Va iubesc,

Elder Bowen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Ultimo, Sfârşitul, My Final Curtain

Hello all you people! For those playing at home, this is my final email that I will send as a missionary. So this email will definitely be a good one! We had a solid week here in Pitesti. We had a really good lesson with Tata Sandu where we read from Alma 7, which testifies of Jesus Christ and the importance of faith and repentance and being baptized. His health keeps him from coming to church, but he really is interested and wants to hear our message. It seems that right when we arrive, he wants to read from the Book of Mormon, which is a sign of eagerness to learn and feast upon the words of Christ. Hopefully Elder Rawhouser can continue to help his desire grow and maybe help him enter the waters of baptism. We made it a priority this week to work with members, especially to strenghten up Mihai the recent convert. This week we focused on temples on watched some videos on what goes on in the temple and what all of it means. He liked it and now we want that to be his goal to go...

Weekly words and seeing God's hand in the work.

In 2018 Elder Bowen’s dad started asking a set of questions.   First it was “What is an interesting word or phrase you have learned in Romanian?”   Later, was added, “How have you seed God’s hand in your life or the life of your friends?”   Lastly, the question, “What is something interesting you have learned about Romania?”.   These are all compiled below. 6/25/2018 A freca menta - literally means rub the mint but it's a phrase that means to waste time 7/2/2018 Mi-am dat seama – I realized 7/16/2018 A supraviețui – to survive I have definitely seen God's hand in my life every time I study in the morning, because it seems like every time I do it, it leads to something that I really needed to study for the rest of the day. 7/23/2018 A infaptui – to accomplish I saw God's hand when he touched our man Felix at church. He told me he really enjoyed church and I can tell he is really progressing. He's read up to Alma 50!!!!! 7/30/2018 a ...

Lamps and Pizza

Well hello all you cool people! This week was pretty sweet as usual! Listen up carefully! Tuesday was a pretty normal day to say the least. I had to have a doctors appointment for my visa and that was the weirdest appointment ever. I couldn't understand anything the doctor was saying and I kind of just sat there. But I am healthy!!! Later that day, Elder Dixon and I went block knocking and we met this woman named Dorina. She was very friendly and let us in and we talked with her about families. She then showed us her collection of trinkets and one of them was a little lamp. She talked about it and then out of the blue she told us that she wanted us to have it. This small, Aladdin type lamp. Definitely a weird gift but hey I will take it!   Little lamp given to me by Dorina, a woman we met Wednesday we met another woman named Pina and she is a very interesting person. She is a very sad woman because of all the hardships she has gone through. We were able to talk to he...